Skip to main content
Livewell Southend

Education, Health and Care needs assessment

Education, Health and Care needs assessment


Some children/young people may require a more formal assessment in order to determine if special educational provision is required. A setting, professional or parent* can request an assessment; known as an Education, Health and Care needs assessment (EHCNA). A local authority must conduct an assessment of education, health and care needs when it considers that it may be necessary for special educational provision to be made for the child or young person in accordance with an EHC plan.

*(Young people over 16 and below 25 in education (for example sixth form or college) can request an EHC needs assessment). Children and young people under 19 in youth custodial establishments also have the right to request an assessment for an EHC plan.

The factors a local authority should take into account in deciding whether it needs to undertake an EHC needs assessment are set out in the Code of Practice paragraphs 9.14 to 9.15. In considering whether an EHC needs assessment is necessary, the Local Authority will have regard to the views, wishes and feelings of the child and his or her parent, or the young person.   


If an EHC needs assessment is agreed an EHC Assessment Officer will be allocated and will ensure that there is effective co-ordination of the assessment.   An EHC needs assessment will not always lead to an EHC plan. The information gathered during an EHC needs assessment may indicate ways in which the school, college or other provider can meet the child or young person’s needs without an EHC plan.


 Last updated: 10 Sep 2020

If you'd like to view this content in another format please email