If you are a parent carer of a child or young person with special educational needs and disabilities, we know that it can be difficult finding your way “through the system” and getting clear information and answers to questions.
Based on this feedback, the Southend Council SEND Team are holding monthly ‘SEND Surgery’ events in locations across Southend. The events provide families with an informal opportunity to drop in, ask questions and receive help about a range of areas including:
- what to do if you feel your child of young person may have a special educational need or disability
- the support available for children and young people in education settings through the graduated offer, and what to do if you’re worried your child is not making progress
- how to support and prepare your child for adulthood or transitions
- advice if you’re considering requesting an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment for your child or young person
- Education, Health and Care Plans and using the EHC Hub
- home to school or college transport
- services available in the local area to support you and your child or young person
- the SEND Local Offer website
Surgeries take place on the 3rd Tuesday of every month between 9:00am. and 11:00am. There is no need to book, just come along. Future surgery dates and venues are listed below.
Victoria Coatsworth (Specialist School Nurse for SEN), from the Public Health School Nursing Team will be in attendance at the 16 May surgery. Victoria's role covers the health needs for SEND pupils in mainstream schools in Southend.
- 18 April 2023 at Shoeburyness Youth and Community Centre, Delaware Road, Southend-On-Sea, SS3 9NS.
- 16 May 2023, The Tickfield Centre, Tickfield Industrial Estate Tickfield Avenue, Southend-On-Sea, SS2 6LL.
- 20 June 2023 at Westcliff Library, 649 London Road, Westcliff-On-Sea, SS0 9PD.
- 18 July 2023 at Southend Adult Community College, Ambleside Drive, Southend on Sea, Essex, SS1 2UP.
If you are unable to come to a surgery, but need help with anything related to SEND, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01702 212328.
Surgeries held in 2022/2023
Thank you to parent carers who have attended our earlier SEND Surgeries. The team were happy to provide support and answer your questions.
The first SEND Surgery was held on 15 November 2022 at Shoeburyness Youth and Community Centre. Officers in attendance to support parent carers: Members of the SEND Local Offer team, an EHCP (Education Health and Care Plan) Co-Ordinator, the Preparing for Adulthood team manager and a member of the Advisory SENCO team.
20 December 2022 - Centre Place Family Centre. Officers in attendance to support parent carers: a school age EHCP Co-Ordinator, a Preparing for Adulthoood EHCP Co-Ordinator and members of the SEND Local Offer Team.
17 January 2023 - Tickfield Centre. Officers in attendance to support parent carers: Southend SENDiass; the SEND Local Offer team; an Advisory SENCO and the Transport Entitlement Officer.
21 February 2023 - Southend Adult Community College. Officers in attendance to support parent carers: the SEND Local Offer team; an Advisory SENCO, the Preparing for Adulthood Manager, an EHCP Co-Ordinator and the Specialist School Nurse for SEN from the Public Health School Nursing Team
21 March 2023 - Autism Resource Base in Southend High School for Boys. Officers in attendance to support parent carers: the SEND Local Offer team; an Advisory SENCO, the EHCP SEND Casework Manager; the Transport Entitlement Officer and an officer from the Elective Home Education Team.
Feedback from parent carers about SEND Surgeries
Feedback received from parent carers who have attended SEND surgeries:
"The EHCP Co-Ordinator listened to my concerns and gave me advice on how to handle the situation at my kids school. I left feeling validated and empowered".
"The surgery was really great, thank you. Please go along, they are very friendly and so helpful".
"I was very happy - I met a very nice person who helped with lots of information. Very nice and professional staff".
"Very productive, great advice for current situation and for future steps".
"We were the only `customers' and got lots of attention from everyone. Thank you so much".
"Great to have the chance to meet/speak face to face. Great variety of professionals to speak to".
"Fantastic resource - just what I needed".
If you'd like to view this content in another format please email email@example.com