If you are a parent carer of a child or young person with special educational needs and disabilities, we know that it can be difficult finding your way “through the system” and getting clear information and answers to questions.
Based on this feedback, the Southend Council SEND Team are holding monthly ‘SEND Surgery’ events in locations across Southend. The events will provide families with an informal opportunity to drop in, ask questions and receive help about a range of areas including:
- what to do if you feel your child of young person may have a special educational need or disability
- the support available for children and young people in education settings through the graduated offer, and what to do if you’re worried your child is not making progress
- how to support and prepare your child for adulthood or transitions
- advice if you’re considering requesting an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment for your child or young person
- Education, Health and Care Plans and using the EHC Hub
- home to school or college transport
- services available in the local area to support you and your child or young person
- the SEND Local Offer website
Surgeries will take place on the 3rd Tuesday of every month between 9:00am. and 11:00am. There is no need to book, just come along. Future surgery dates and venues are listed below.
Victoria Coatsworth (Specialist School Nurse for SEN), from the Public Health School Nursing Team will be in attendance at surgeries running on 20 December, 21 February and 16 May. Victoria's role covers the health needs for SEND pupils in mainstream schools in Southend.
- 20 December 2022 at Centre Place Family Centre (formerly known as Centre Place Children's Centre). 15 Prospect Close, Southend-On-Sea, SS1 2JD.
- 17 January 2023 at The Tickfield Centre, Evolution room. Tickfield Industrial Estate Tickfield Avenue, Southend-On-Sea, SS2 6LL.
- 21 February 2023 at Southend Adult Community College, Ambleside Drive, Southend on Sea, Essex, SS1 2UP.
- 21 March 2023 at Westcliff Library, 649 London Road, Westcliff-On-Sea, SS0 9PD.
- 18 April 2023 at Shoeburyness Youth and Community Centre, Delaware Road, Southend-On-Sea, SS3 9NS.
- 16 May 2023, The Tickfield Centre, Evolution room. Tickfield Industrial Estate Tickfield Avenue, Southend-On-Sea, SS2 6LL.
- 20 June 2023 at Westcliff Library, 649 London Road, Westcliff-On-Sea, SS0 9PD.
- 18 July 2023 at Southend Adult Community College, Ambleside Drive, Southend on Sea, Essex, SS1 2UP.
If you are unable to come to a surgery, but need help with anything related to SEND, contact us at email@example.com or 01702 212328.
Surgeries already held in 2022
The first SEND Surgery was held on 15 November at Shoeburyness Youth and Community Centre. Thank you to all of the parent carers who came along.
The team were happy to provide support and answer questions. In attendance at the session were members of the SEND Local Offer team, an EHCP (Education Health and Care Plan) Co-Ordinator, the Preparing for Adulthood team manager and a member of the Advisory SENCO team.
We look forward to the next surgery on 20 December.
If you'd like to view this content in another format please email firstname.lastname@example.org