How to live well during Coronavirus
Start a journal
Document life in Lockdown
Metal Southend is inviting people to capture thoughts and feelings through writing and artwork in journals. This will later form part of their Estuary Festival. If you’d like a free journal just email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and postal address.
From Essex Wildlife Trust
Bringing you a jam-packed schedule of digital activities to help you engage with your county’s wildlife and learn about ways that you can help protect it.
From top tips on how to make your garden wildlife friendly to wild workouts. Get your daily dose of nature, even if you’re stuck indoors! http://www.essexwt.org.uk
Make your own Museum
Join the Museum Taskforce!
Our Museums are closed but there’s still lots to do! Join the Museum Taskforce and engage with our collections from your own home!
Explore our beautiful historic properties and create your own stories like the Scratton children, who once lived in Prittlewell Priory!
Visit their website http://www.southendmuseums.co.uk or follow their social channels @SouthendMuseums
Focal Point Gallery
Focal Point Gallery have a host of online activities, including “Why Don’t You Crochet a Granny Square or Two?”
Led by artists, each instalment will suggest a new activity to keep you entertained and stimulated away from the screen. Look out for updates http://www.fpg.org.uk
Worried? Need some help?
If friends and family aren’t able to help and you have no local support
If you need help with tasks like food shopping or you’re feeling isolated.
You are not alone.
If you need us, we’re here.
Call us on 01702 212497
Monday to Friday 9 – 5pm.
Offering 24/7 emergency support with personal and response alarms for older and vulnerable people.
Call 0800 833162
Advice and Support for Home Schooling
Information from www.gov.uk
The Department for Education have brought together an initial list of online educational resources to help children to learn at home.
They have identified some of the country’s leading educational experts and offer a wide range of resources for pupils of all ages.
The list includes resources for:
- PE / Wellbeing
- Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
Southend Adult Community College have a range of online courses available to take part in and many of these are free to access.
Looking for new skills to use after lockdown? We have many opportunities that could help or even secure a new career. Our dedicated tutors are tailor making courses to meet your needs - we’re here for you. http://www.southend-adult.ac.uk or call 01702 445700
Free e-books and much more!
With your Library Card
All you need is your Library Card to get access to free e-books, audiobooks, digital magazines and more!
Just download the BorrowBox app to your smartphone or tablet and sign in with your Library Card number and PIN, and you’re ready to go!
Tour Museums and Galleries
Without leaving your sofa!
As well as our own museums and galleries in Southend, others around the world are offering virtual tours and online exhibitions. Here are a few of our favourites:
- British Museum, London Enjoy virtual tours of the Great Court and discover some amazing artefacts. britishmuseum.withgoogle.com
- The Louvre, Paris The world’s largest museum, holding world-famous pieces such as the Mona Lisa or the Victory of Samothrace. http://www.louvre.fr
- Tate Britain, London Offering virtual tours around its rooms showing a chronological display of Britain’s greatest artists. http://www.tate.org.uk
- Natural History Museum, London Introduce the kids to the giant Dippy the dino, as well as specimens in jars, the dodo and more. http://www.nhm.ac.uk
- National Gallery, London Home to over 3,000 paintings, drawings, watercolours from 13th to mid-20th century Europe. http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk
- Guggenheim Museum, New York Tour the famous spiral staircase and discover incredible works of art. http://www.guggenheim.org
With many of us stuck indoors for long periods of time it’s difficult to keep yourself entertained. Thankfully a host of celebrities are offering their help:
- PE with Joe Wicks | YouTube Virtual workouts at 9am Monday-Friday.
- Science, Scribbles and Stories with Konnie Huq | YouTube Helping children understand coronavirus, as well as numerous fun science experiments to copy.
- Andrew Lloyd Webber’s The Show Must Go On! | Youtube | Enjoy hit musicals for free for 48 hours.
- Grayson Perry Art Class | Twitter & Instagram | Creates new art works, talks to other famous artists and hosts masterclasses on how to create art.
- Bear Gryll’s The Great Indoors Activities! | www.scouts.org.uk Indoor activity ideas to keep kids learning new skills and having fun.
- Elevenses with David Walliams www.worldofdavidwalliams.com Daily free audio stories from his collection of children’s books.
- Myleene Klass Music Lessons & Lullabies | Youtube | Virtual music lessons where you don’t need an instrument to join in!
- Oti Mabuse Dance Classes | Youtube Strictly-inspired dances to help adults and children stay fit and learn a new skill while they are at home.
Great free workouts & tips
More and more of us are spending time at home, so Active Essex have compiled some ideas and videos on how you can keep active.
Staying active is really important for all of our mental health and wellbeing.
We’re Still Open
Don’t forget throughout the lockdown your GP plus mental health, dementia and carers support services are still available.
If you need medical help, the NHS is still here for you. If you need medical help from your GP practice, contact them either online or by phone to be assessed. All other essential services remain open too, such as opticians and pharmacies. Contact them in the usual way. If you need urgent medical help, use the NHS 111 online service. If you cannot get help online, call 111. For serious or life-threatening emergencies, call 999.
Be a Work Hero | Help keep Britain running
Age Concern Southend
For our older residents, Age Concern Southend is a small charity providing support, advice and services to older people in Southend and the surrounding communities.
Just call 01702 345373 / email@example.com / Phone line open 10am–2pm Mon–Fri
You are not Alone
For anyone who feels they are at risk of abuse, there is help and support available.
- Southend service: 01702 302333 for information, advice or support
- Compass Helpline: 0333 0333 7444 (24hrs) / http://www.essexcompass.org.uk
- Women’s Aid chatline: chat.womensaid.org.uk / open Mon-Fri 10am-12pm
The household isolation instruction does not apply if you need to leave your home to escape domestic abuse. If you are in danger, please call 999.
If you’re afraid of further danger and are overheard calling 999, use the Silent Solution. When the operator asks which service is required, if you are unable to answer, the call is forwarded to an operating system, where you can press 55 to alert the police.
Healthy Life Essex is proud to provide you with a list of positive, online events. Keep positive. Find the rainbow. Join our featured positive, online events.
Trust Links daily broadcasts will feature other topics during every weekday day with updates from the gardens including a glimpse of the pet chickens.
Our Parks offer free online exercise classes from Yoga to Friday Dance.
Active Life will be uploading a new YouTube workout every Monday to Thursday at 10am (and sometimes more often).
If you'd like to view this content in another format please email firstname.lastname@example.org