Skip to main content
Livewell Southend

Support over winter

Support for you and your family

We know life can be tough sometimes, so we have put together a list of some of the key contacts in case you need them. If you need help with food, mental health or your finances, please do get in touch, even if you haven’t needed to before. Please don’t feel alone in these times, help and friendly faces are here for you.


Foodbanks: Please use food banks if you need them. Citizens Advice can refer to the food banks that are open. Call 01702 454352/01702 456366 or email

Storehouse has food supplies, nappies, soap and other basics that could tide you over. Please call 01702 617348

Free school meals: If you have children of school age and claim free school meals your school will be in touch with you with support over the school holidays.


Citizens Advice Bureau 0344 477 0808

If you are worried about the possibility of being made homeless, or if you would like help managing your finances, or are worried about debt, then please call the Housing Solutions team on 01702 215002

Help when you need to self-isolate

If you are a tenant of South Essex Homes, you can try the Hub Project 10.00am – 4pm on 07398 094462

If you are housebound and need help with food collection, prescriptions, dog walking etc, you can ring Southend-on-Sea Borough Council’s helpline on 01702 212497.

If you need to isolate but are worried about losing money from not being able to work, you could be entitled to a £500 grant. You will need to make an online application, Please follow the link for full details.


Samaritans can support you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. They can help if you are finding it hard to cope, or worried about someone else. They can also help if you are feeling suicidal or want to harm yourself. Contact them on 116 123 or visit their website.

Age Concern Southend Due to Coronavirus they have changed their service. They have expanded their befriending service to meet the needs of adults of all ages. They can be contacted on 01702 345373, 

Domestic Abuse

If you are experiencing physical, psychological or financial abuse, please get help or advice.

Compass can support you: 0330 333 7 444

In an emergency please call 999. If you are unable to speak, wait to be put through and then press 55 for the silent service.

Mental Health – urgent help

NHS 111 If you need to seek help urgently, call NHS 111. From 1st April 2020 this service can direct you straight to a qualified mental health professional. 

NHS 111 may refer you to ‘Sanctuary by Sea’. This is an out of hour’s crisis service in Southend. You can go here for a chat and to get support and advice.

Help for people with Dementia

The Dementia Community Support Team are here to help you at this time and throughout the coming weeks and months. For support please call 01702 534772 or email

The Dementia & Older People’s Mental Health Team at EPUT are available every day except bank holidays. Please call 01268 739111.

Dementia Intensive Support Team (DIST) at EPUT is there for you 7 days a week from 8am to 8pm including bank holidays. Please call 01268 739183.


Social prescribers can help you with mental health; employment; debt management; housing and weight management and more. Please book an appointment with a social prescriber via your GP’s appointment line.

Support for Veterans

SSAFA Southend and Rochford are here for you. Please call 01702 463113

If you require additional care and support


Whatever tier your local area is in, it is important that you continue to receive the care and support you need to help you stay safe and well. Providers of social care and medical services are making every effort to ensure services remain open and as safe as possible.

You should continue to seek support from the NHS for your existing health conditions. You can access a range of NHS services from home, including ordering repeat prescriptions or contacting your health professional through an online consultation. To find out more visit Health at Home, or download the NHS App. If you have an urgent medical need, call NHS 111 or, for a medical emergency, dial 999.

Any carers or visitors who support you with your everyday needs can continue to visit. They should follow social distancing guidance where close or personal contact is not required.

If your carer is a paid carer visiting you in your home, they will find information on the provision of home care and personal protective equipment (PPE) in the provision of home care guidance and PPE for care workers delivering homecare guidance. If you receive unpaid care, your carer should refer to the Guidance for those who provide unpaid care to friends or family.

You should continue to access support from local charities and organisations, as well as NHS Volunteer Responders. As well as helping with shopping and medicines delivery, NHS Volunteer Responders can help with a regular, friendly phone call, either with someone else who has previously been advised to shield or with different volunteers and transport to medical appointments.

Call 0808 196 3646 between 8am and 8pm to arrange support or visit NHS Volunteer Responders website. Speak to your health care professional to arrange transport support.

 Last updated: 07 Jan 2021

If you'd like to view this content in another format please email