Working in Childcare in Southend
Whether you're thinking about a career working with children, are already working with children or looking for a change of career, we can support with information and guidance to help you.
Becoming a Childcare Practitioner
Becoming an Early Years Practitioner
Early Years practitioners look after young children in a setting. This includes:
- Day Nursery’s
- Children’s Centres
- Independent Schools
- Schools with Nurseries
- Wrap around care provision.
If you are passionate about providing the best outcomes for children, this could be the ideal career choice for you.
You will need the following abilities:
• A knowledge and understanding of how children learn and develop
• to provide quality care that meets the needs of families
• to provide children with a nurturing and inspirational environment
• to support the children’s individual growth and development
• a commitment to professional development by attending on-going training
• to work in partnership with parents/carers and other professional agencies
• to become part of the childcare community in Southend
What you will need to become a childcare practitioner:
• Full and recognised level 2 or above childcare qualification.
• Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check. Completed with a college or employer.
• Once qualified a Full Paediatric First Aid or Emergency Paediatric First Aid must be completed. This needs to be within 3 months of starting work. This will enable you to be included in staff:child ratios.
Becoming a Childminder
Childminders look after children of all ages in their own home. If you love working with children, it could be the ideal career for you.
Becoming a childminder will allow you to:
- run your own business from home choosing the hours you work and the services you provide
- fit your business around your lifestyle
- provide children with a happy and inspirational environment
- support the children that you care for to grow and develop
- provide quality care that meets the needs of families
- become part of the childcare community in Southend
You will need the following qualities:
- an understanding of, or a desire to learn, how children learn and develop
- commitment to professional development by attending on-going training
- ability to work in partnership with parents/carers and other professional agencies
- ability to run your own business by keeping good records to ensure its viability
Find out more about becoming a childminder as well as tips from those already running a successful childminding business
Find out the costs involved in registering
Check out this short video about childminding
Are you thinking about becoming a childminder in Southend?
Come to one of our free sessions. The session will help you decide if childminding is right for you.
- Find out what’s involved in registering with Ofsted as a childminder
- Find out about the EYFS and other training
To book a session or if you have any questions contact email@example.com
- Information to help you if you are interested in early education and childcare as a career
You can also look for local job vacancies:
- in Local Newspapers
- through the Job Centre
- recruitment websites
- recruitment agencies
If you'd like to view this content in another format please email firstname.lastname@example.org