Southend Early Autism Support (SEAS) Course
This course is for parents of children under 5 years old within the Southend area with either a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Condition or who present with social communication difficulties that have been identified by a recognised professional.
The course gives parents the chance to speak to professionals directly to learn more about the following areas and find useful ways of helping their child.
The Topics covered on the course are:
- An introduction to autism with Tracy Bakonyvari and Helen Smith-Vicary, Educational Psychologist
- Understanding your child’s communication – Speech and Language Therapy Service
- Feeding and toileting support with the Play and Development Advisory Team
- Sensory needs and play with Tracy Bakonyvari & Helen Smith-Vicary
- Sleep and behaviour support with Educational Psychologist Service
- Supporting your child’s play with the Early Years SEN Team
- Support available to families in the area with Special Educational Needs and Disability Independent Advisory Services (SENDiass), Little Heroes ASD Support Group and the Southend SEND Independent Forum (SSIF)
Course frequency and details
Two courses run each year - one is online, the other is face-to-face.
The online course:
The first course is online via video call. This course is made up of 6 sessions, each lasting 1 hour, where parents get to meet professionals and ask any questions they have on supporting their child.
The face to face course:
This course is 6 sessions face to face with professionals present. This is currently held at the Tickfield Centre. Anyone who is on the course will be told the time, location and days of the course before they start and will be sent resources via email.
How to join the course
You can be referred by any professional working with your child if they feel that this would be the right course for you. This can include the Play and Development team, Paediatrician or Speech and Language Therapist.
Feedback from parents and carers who attended our course
‘I found it exceptionally helpful and have saved the videos to refer back to later on!’
‘Thank you so much for organising this it has been so nice to speak to other parents and professionals!’
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Tracy Bakonyvari
- 07442 866746
- When is it on
- Wednesday 19th, and 26th April, 3rd, 10th, 17th and 24th May 2023
- Day(s) of week
- Time of day
- Session Information
Our course is Spring time is online through Microsoft Teams
This service is free of charge to everyone.
- Referral required
- Local Offer Age Bands
- 0-5 years
This service, organisation or event is listed for your information. With the exception of services offered directly by Southend-on-Sea City Council, inclusion on Livewell Southend does not confer or imply endorsement, approval or recommendation by Southend-on-Sea City Council. The Council can take no responsibility for the quality, reliability or accessibility of the service, organisation or event listed. You should thoroughly check the service or event, and the organisation running it, before deciding to take part or attend.
- Last admin update: 24 Jan 2023
If you'd like to view this content in another format please email firstname.lastname@example.org